Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Make Up Basics

What was I like in middle school and high school? That's right folks. Awkward and gawky as f$%!. Maybe it was the transition from child to teenager that I never really truly grasped the concept of, but it was definitely a learning process to be the person that I am today, still awkward and gawky. Maybe just a little less so.

While growing up I always had seen my sister apply her make up for school and was fascinated by what a transformation make up can do. How is it that you can look sweet and fresh one minute to look like you're going out for a night on the town? I wanted to know this super lady secret. So slowly and gradually, I experimented. Fumbling through the world of mascaras, lipsticks, eyeliners; I was the definition of a hot mess. Most of the time it looked like I drew with a pen underneath of my eyes and had obnoxious lip colors that made me look like a pale and frigid mannequin. How cute, right? I rather not show you pictures or else you may never look at me the same again. I learned my lessons though, like that blue eye shadow up to your eyebrows was not a good idea or the fact that just doing eyeliner on the bottom half of my eye came off a little strange.

Anyways, since I learned a little bit about makeup since I was 13, here are some of my favorite products that I use on a daily basis no matter the occasion, (and mainly cause these are the things I mainly know how to use).


NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation in Beige($9.50) - This powder is so silky and smooth and to be honest, it's feels like I'm applying nothing on my face at all. But like magic, all of a sudden my face looks airbrushed and like I had the skin of a 4 year old. It really does it's job. Warning, use with a gentle hand or else you will end up looking like you ran through a beige version of the Color Run. 


E.L.F Essential Eyelid Primer in Natural ($1.00) - I used to be the type of girl that was a brand snob when it came to eyelid primers. I swore by Urban Decay's Primer Potion and did not stray from it for two years. But when my tube of that goop broke, causing contents to dry out, I knew I needed to search for a less expensive alternative. That's where I turned to E.L.F. The company is known for making makeup that is extremely affordable. And at a dollar, I didn't have much to lose. And after about a year of using this product, I would say it's pretty awesome. It holds my eyeliner pretty well and keeps on my eye shadows for a pretty decent amount of time. It definitely doesn't have 24 hour staying power, but it will get you through work day just fine. I purchase this product about every 3 months. So the total cost for an entire year is only $4.00; proving to be a much better deal than any name brand. 

E.L.F. Studio Cream Eyeliner in Black ($3.00) - Here's to another of one of my cheap thrills. Gel eyeliner has always been an essential in my cosmetics bag, and for good reason too. Without it, I feel like I don't look awake, or even alive for that matter. Without it, I get an influx of "you look tired" comments a day. Sad that I now depend on a black line above my eye to avoid looking like a corpse. This eyeliner in particular is super easy to apply and ultra smooth as well. The color payoff can be a little bit watery, but if you wait for the first coat to dry, you can always apply a second coat to get a deeper color. 

*Here's a tip: when shopping around for gel eyeliners, especially if the container is see-through, look for the product to be touching the entire surface of the container. Gel eyeliners that show gaping in between the container and the product itself are usually liners that are already in the process of being dried out. These types of eyeliners typically "shrink" when they lose moisture, causing harder application due to its dry nature. Try and think of using a sharpie that barely has ink left, that should give you a mental picture. 


NYX Slide On Pencil in Jet Black ($8.00) - I'm not too particular when it comes to pencil eyeliners other than the fact that I like my pencils to give a bit less color payoff in general. That may sound strange to any makeup guru, but it's the truth. I only use pencil eyeliner on my bottom lash line and I have grown to notice that the eyeliner stays on longer when the product isn't too creamy or slick. NYX Slide on Pencil does the job well for me. It's easy to apply, and doesn't budge throughout the day. It's truly a perfect fit. 


MAC's Blush in Melba ($21.00) - This has to be the priciest item I have on my list. Funny thing is, it was actually a hand-me-down from my sister. Ever since she gave me this, I have been in love with this product. I never really believed in the power of blush before. I used to think that it was unnecessary and a waste of money. But my friend, Connie, showed me otherwise. One day, I begrudgingly let her put blush on me. With a quick glance at the mirror, I was shocked. From looking like a corpse to looking gorgeously flushed, I was sold. And ever since then, I have depended on my trusty Melba to give me that boost to my skin tone of beige-yellow. It makes me look sun-kissed and like I spent all day looking through antique shops and taking scrolls at the beach. When in reality I have been slaving over a paper for 8 hours in the library. Magic, I tell you. 



Revlon Super Lustrous Cream Lipstick in Berry Rich ($4.50) - Last but most importantly, one of my favorite lipsticks of all time. When I first started off with makeup, lipstick became an ultimate comfort product. I experimented for a while with different shades and they all didn't work for me at all. On a whim when I was at the store with my mom, I decided to pick up this bad boy. I got lucky. The application was smooth. The color was bright enough to lighten up my appearance. Yet it was dark and subtle enough to wear everyday. If I could only choose one lipstick to wear for the rest of my life, this would be the winner. No doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment